Monday, July 4, 2011

Blessings

What do we do with our desires for things other than God when we feel God is not there for us? Is it our deepest hurts, our flesh, or is it the enemy who lies and tells us that God doesn’t love us or want what is best for us?

This world is so broken. I have many friends who have been through hell on earth and back again. Was God absent? Was He asleep? Didn’t He care?

Only God Himself can heal hearts. Only He can combat the lies that consume us. Satan is so treacherous, and he keeps us from being all that we were made to be. He diverts our attention to anything that will keep us from the Truth.

Once again, music rolls through my head, and the words to this song express the realities of these questions the best—although not better than His Holy Word. It’s just that sometimes we need a word from someone who has been through trials themselves to speak to us. Laura Story does that through her song “Blessings.” 

Laura’s husband has been through a lot. Here is an excerpt from an article on her from
www.thefish959.com:

Shortly after inking the deal with INO Records in 2006, a trial entered Story’s life that would not only provide her with a deeper understanding of God’s sovereignty. After one year of marriage, Story’s husband was hospitalized with a brain tumor.

“There was a time he was on a breathing machine and we weren’t sure he was going to make it. I spent my whole life singing, ‘’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,’ but until Jesus took me through something where my only option was to trust Him, I didn’t really know that sweetness,” reflects Story. While supporting her husband through surgery, radiation, complications, and intense physical therapy, Story composed new rubber-meets-the-road songs to reaffirm God’s presence in her darkest hours.
“It’s hard to understand why God would allow us to go through this, but I know He works all things together for good, and I feel my new album is reflecting that. Though He leads us through valleys, that’s when we get to trust Him and draw closer to Him all the more. Though I’ve doubted, His grasp has never released, never slipped. He’s remained completely faithful to me. He has proven that He really is my foundation and my hope.” 

Bless the Lord oh my soul, all that’s in me bless your name,
Forget not your power untold, not your glory or your fame
For you came to heal the broken, to redeem and make me whole, 
Bless the Lord, bless the Lord, oh my soul… 

Listen to this song here:

Laura Story, Blessings

If you have ever felt this defeat, and would like to encourage others, please leave a comment to this post. 

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment